Taking a closer look at King David and King Saul of the Bible… Why is King David known as being a man after God’s own heart? Why did God reject King Saul as king? Like us, they were both great sinners. So what was the difference between them? And what can we learn from them? In this post you will find:
- FREE article for kids
- FREE paper gifts
- FREE colouring pages, puzzles, crafts and creative ideas
- Article text
FEATURING BIBLE VERSE
Bible Memory Verse: 1 Samuel 15:22 – To obey God is better than giving Him a present! (a wonderful paraphrase from a 13-year-old).
WARRIOR OR WIMP ~ KING DAVID / KING SAUL ~ ARTICLE FOR KIDS ~ FREE PRINTABLE (A4)
Make this article your own – just add your own clip art, draw it in or ask your child to draw it. You may like to print the article on A4 photo paper to bring out the vibrancy of the colours and you may also like to laminate it to keep it looking nice for your own children, homeschool students or Sunday school students. And that’s just the start… the matching free printable items below that have been designed exclusively just for you and your child to go with it… and below that you will find FREE colouring pages, puzzles, crafts and creative ideas… send your child a PARTY!
WARRIOR / WIMP ~ BIBLE WALLET CARDS (A4) ~ FREE PRINTABLE
There are 9 cards per sheet featuring Bible verse from Luke 10:27 – Love God with everything you got. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength and with all your mind. Print on A4 photo paper, cut and laminate for best results.
Here is a closer look:
WARRIOR / WIMP ~ BIBLE VERSE CARD ~ FREE PRINTABLE (4×6)
The line between good and evil goes right through the centre of every human heart. Scary thought. The choice is ours. God’s way – choose good? Or choose evil? This is the dilemma that both King David and King Saul faced. One chose God’s way; the other did it his way. With Bible verses from Joshua 24:15 and Luke 10:27 – Choose today whom you will serve… as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord; Love God with everything you got; Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength and with all your mind. Print on 4×6 photo paper and laminate for best results.
WARRIOR/WIMP ~ STATIONERY ~ FREE PRINTABLE (A4)
Also featuring Bible verse from Luke 10:27. If you wish, you might like to add the same clip art you used in the article, as I did for my kids.
THINK SPOT ~ MESSIAH ~ THE SCARLET THREAD THROUGH HISTORY ~ DETECTIVE THRILLER ~ ULTIMATE DRAMA OF ALL TIME
God promised the Messiah back in Genesis 3. “It began with a declaration of war…. God Himself declared war on the ruler of this world: Satan. A cosmic conflict in which you and I are the prizes… Where would this mysterious deliverer come from? The clues kept on coming… He would be a descendant of Adam. Thus, Satan’s subsequent stratagem was an attempt to contaminate the human gene pool… But that plan was a total washout. Only nine were saved from the judgement of the Flood… When God revealed that His plan would focus on a descendant of Abraham, Satan had 400 years to lay down a mine field… Then we discovered that He would be a descendant of David. Ominously, a chain of attacks ensued to wipe out His family. Again and again there were attempts to eliminate His heirs – but there was always an intervention that foiled the diabolical plots…” Read more by Dr Chuck Missler
KING DAVID / KING SAUL ~ COLOURING, PUZZLES, CRAFTS, PAPER GIFTS ~ FREE PRINTABLE
The people demand a king – colouring (auntiesbiblelessons) Rejecting God as their king, Saul was chosen to be king but was rejected when sin and pride started to reign in his heart. David was later anointed by Samuel to be the next king; free printable
325 Puzzle / Colouring Bible Activity Sheets for Kids (Calvary Curriculum Original; The David and Saul related items are numbers 75 to 87) each worksheet is about 6 pages and has one colouring page and several puzzle pages, including word searches, fill-in blanks, crosswords, true or false, circle correct words, mazes; also available in Spanish (scroll down to numbers 75-87); free printable
Samuel anoints Saul as King – colouring (bible-printables) free printable
Moses left Instructions for the King – colouring (doodlethroughthebible) to read God’s Word every day; Deuteronomy 17:19 – It shall be with him and he shall read it all the days of his life; this is another area where King Saul failed; also available as a poster; free printable
David anointed by Samuel – colouring/puzzles (Calvary Curriculum for younger children; do a CTRL + F page search for ‘David’) free printable
Jesus is King – colouring pages (ministry-to-children) a reminder of who is David’s true king (ours, too!); free printable
Armour of God – colouring (practicalpages; scroll down) our kids will love these gorgeous colouring pages of a boy and girl knight; and a gentle reminder that we all need God’s help to do it right, just as David did; free printable
Saul becomes King – word search (Biblepuzzles) 46 words; free printable
David (Biblewise) puzzles, colouring pages, crafts, activities and stories for kids; free printable
Psalm 34.12 – turn from evil and do good – word search (max7) this site has some excellent Bible puzzles for kids; free printable
Psalm 100.1 – shout for joy – dot to dot (max7) children marching band Scripture picture puzzle from the Psalms; free printable
Psalm 35:9 – word find (Answers in Genesis; scroll down to ‘click here for word find’) Find the words in the Bible verse: And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD; it shall rejoice in His salvation; free printable
David and Saul (activity-mom) Your child will love these cool Bible figures to play with; free printable
Here’s an idea inspired and adapted by hunting for treasure (kidsprayer). Write a Bible verse on one side of a piece of paper and a matching prayer on the other. Do a few different ones. Pop the papers inside an envelope with some stickers. e.g. Psalm 56:3 for your Bible verse and a prayer on the back that David may have prayed, something like: Lord help me to always put my trust in You and not to be afraid.
Psalm 23 ~ FREE colouring pages, puzzles, crafts and creative ideas for kids; free printable
Psalm 23 ~ FREE Paper Gifts (Paper Gifts for Estefany) Bible Poster, Bookmark, Wallet Cards, Note Cards, Stationery, Envelope, Mini Envelopes, To Do List and more; free printable
Psalm 23 ~ FREE Paper Gifts for younger children (Paper Gifts for Estefany) Bible poster, bookmark, wallet cards, note cards and stationery; free printable
Bible Verse wallet card – Pray like a champion today (fcaresources) 10 of these will fit nicely into an A4 portrait page – one for your child to keep and the others to share with family and friends.
Saul – Bible Trading Cards (sundayschoolsources; scroll down to number 140) free printable
The handsome, foolish king – cartoon booklets (numbers 18-21) David and Saul cartoon booklets in colour or to colour (CB); big (story – 24 pages) or small (tract – 2 page); in very bright primary colours; and if you click on ‘other languages’, the menu will drop down – e.g. Spanish; French; Portuguese; Hindi; Kinyarwanda; Swahili; Amharic; Taglog; and many more; free printable
nextmanga The story of the universe in manga form. A comic book Bible series in a trendy manga format that keeps kids/teens (and adults!) riveted. Book 2 (Melech) picks up after the escape from Egypt to the crowning of King David, the greatest king on Earth (so far). Buy and send a few pages at a time. It’s also an excellent gift idea if you are planning a sponsor visit. My kids loved these.
- Looked impressive – he was tall, physically strong and handsome.
- King Saul made a series of very serious mistakes and then tried to cover it up. He was a very great sinner.
- King Saul was very concerned with image, his reputation and keeping everything looking good.
- When confronted with his sin, Saul constantly tried to squirm out of it and blame other people. Saul was not sorry he had sinned and disobeyed God. He was only sorry he had been found out.
- The most important person in King Saul’s life was King Saul.
- King Saul looked good on the outside, but turned out to be a wimp on the inside. His character was weak and shallow. He was easily influenced and was more interested in pleasing other people, rather than God. Saul only pretended to love God.
- God was sorry that He had made Saul king and gave the kingdom to David. Saul became jealous; angry; suspicious; vengeful; and obsessed with killing David. Finally, when things didn’t turn out, he turned to the occult, rather than to God. Then he was killed in battle.
- In trying to protect and promote himself, Saul lost everything. He had the potential to be a great king, but when God gave him success, he became proud and important in his own eyes.
His tragic story is what happens to us if we refuse to come to God with a repentant heart.
As a footnote to Saul’s story, one of the things God told him to do, was to destroy the evil King Agag. Saul did not obey. King Agag went on to have a descendant called Haman.
- Was overlooked by his family as being unimportant.
- King David made a series of very serious mistakes and then tried to cover it up. This included adultery and murder. He was a very great sinner.
- King David was very concerned with image, his reputation and keeping everything looking good.
- When confronted with his sin, David ‘fessed up. He was repentant. That takes great courage. He knew he had hurt God and messed up really bad. He wrote Psalm 51 as his cry to God for forgiveness.
- The most important person in King David’s life was God.
- King David turned out to be a great king and a very brave warrior. He was a natural leader and brilliant in battle. He was obedient; humble; faithful; committed; brave; respectful; forgiving; not vengeful, but merciful. He protected his family and was honourable toward his enemies. He showed respect to the authority figures that God had put in his life, even when they were not fair.
- Most importantly, he was devoted to God. He loved and worshipped God. He was a man after God’s own heart.
Some years later, a guy called Shimei cursed King David and threw rocks at him (2 Samuel 16). Shimei was related to King Saul and hated King David. The security guards with the King suggested Shimei be put to death. He was a big security risk. King David had a good reason to kill him, but showed mercy to Shimei and let him live. Shimei went on to have a descendant called Mordecai. Many generations later, in the book of Esther, the evil Haman tried to wipe out God’s people. Mordecai was the hero of that story. If King Saul had obeyed God when he was supposed to, there would have been no Haman. But here is where it gets really interesting.If King David had not shown mercy and compassion to Shimei, there would have been no Mordecai—no hero!
So what are some of the lessons we can learn from King David and King Saul?
1. When (not if!) we mess up, we need to be quick to ‘fess up. Confess our sin, and repent before God.
2. Respect others, even when they don’t deserve it. Be quick to show mercy, grace and forgiveness. Be slow to react in revenge. Our choices today will affect our tomorrow.
3. Love and obey God 100%. Ask God for a courageous heart that desires to please Him and obey Him above all else. That’s how we can…
BE A WARRIOR, NOT A WIMP!
NOTE: Even though this David / Saul article was originally designed for my older boys, I also wished to send it to my girls, so asked the Lord to show me how it could be done. I ended up deliberately choosing very girly items (e.g. flower colouring pages) to send with the article and writing along these lines in their letter: Share this challenge with the boys in your life and tell them what you will be looking for when you come to choose a husband! :)
You can read all about the adventures of King David and King Saul in the Bible books of 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel and 1 Chronicles. This article – although a little out of sync with the story of David & Goliath – was inspired after listening to an online home group Bible Study on the fabulous Vision Radio. I just had to share it with you.
Armour of God (Paper Gifts for Estefany) FREE colouring pages, puzzles, crafts, freebies and creative ideas for kids
Collect your FREE BONUS GIFTS when you sign up to follow me. What will they be? Click here to find out. If you like my work, please tell others and ‘like’ this page. Your kind comments make my day! You can also follow Paper Gifts for Estefany on…